Just about everyone has experienced some joint pain in their life. Whether it’s a bad knee, mild shoulder tightness or debilitating arthritis, we all will have pain in our joints at some point. Rather than reaching for the bottle of ibuprofen or taking prescription opioids, many individuals are now turning to medical marijuana and joint pain treatment to find relief.
How and Why Marijuana Can Be an Effective Treatment for Joint Pain
Medical cannabis for joint pain can do wonders. THC and CBD, cannabis’ two active compounds, especially help with joint pain, since weed does a lot more than get you high. It provides you with natural pain management, overall enhanced quality of life and increased dexterity.
CBD affects your immune system, naturally helping with RA and other autoimmune conditions. In fact, the journal Rheumatology published a study showing arthritis patients had unusually high levels of CB2 receptors in their joint tissue. By using medical marijuana, they were able to fight joint inflammation through CB2 receptor pathway activation.
What Side Effects and Symptoms of Joint Pain Can Medical Marijuana Treat?
Marijuana and joint pain treatment can help ease joint pain symptoms such as:
Best Strains of Marijuana to Use for Joint Pain Symptoms
- Blueberry Pancakes (Indica)
- Gorilla Glue # 4 (hybrid)
- Critical Mass (Indica)
- Harlequin (Sativa)
- Ghost Train Haze (Sativa)
Best Methods of Marijuana Treatment for the Side Effects and Symptoms of Joint Pain
Topicals - Most individuals experiencing joint pain know all about Bengay or Icy Hot. Medical marijuana topicals work similarly. Cannabis topicals aren’t psychoactive, so when you apply them to your skin, you’re not going to get high. They’re just weed-infused creams, lotions, oils and balms your skin absorbs to combat inflammation and pain.
Smoking or Vaporizing - One of the fastest ways to experience relief from your joint pain is through inhalation. Unlike balms or creams, inhaling marijuana with THC will give you a “high” effect. However, this also depends on the type and dose of the herb you use. If you don’t like the "high" sensation, go for a CBD-dominant strain to reduce this effect.
Edibles and Beverages - If you’re seeking immediate relief, you might want to skip the edibles, since it could take a couple of hours before you experience any effects. You have to process edible marijuana through your digestive system, and this takes much longer than it does when you smoke it. Whether you consume cookies, mints, chocolates or gummies, edibles can provide you with long-lasting relief. Once you know which exact dosage is right for you, they make a simple and discreet option of treating your joint pain all day long.
The Best Medical Marijuana Strains For Joint Pain
When the pain stemming from your knees, ankles, hip, elbows or shoulders is too much to handle, a little cannabis could be exactly what they doctor ordered. So here are some of the absolute best medical marijuana strains for those suffering from joint pain:
- Sativa: These strains aren’t typically ideal for joint pain. However, many of the newer sativa strains come heavily infused with CBD. Many find the sativa strains high in CBD to be the perfect midday medication for joint pain.
- Indica: Many Indica strains are incredibly high in THC. This allows them to effectively kill pain. New strains of Indica have begun to be infused with high levels of CBD, too. Strains high in both THC and CBD have been shown to be the better at offering pain relief.
- Hybrid: Many individuals living in medical marijuana states have found hybrid strains the best at reducing pain. Hybrid strains have been proven to be helpful at killing pain and reducing inflammation through CBD.
- New Cannabinoids: One of the newer cannabinoids found on the market, CBG, has been showing to offer great pain relieving effects. Individuals suffering in medical marijuana states may want to give CBG a try in the near future.