CBD and Joint Pain
- CBD acts as an anti-inflammatory substance by:
- Dampening the response by the immune system, which directly reduces inflammation
- Decreasing the levels of inflammatory substances around the joint
- "CBD is effective in reducing inflammation and pain and might enhance the efficacy of therapeutic drugs."
CBD appears to reduce pain in both direct and indirect ways—a good thing, because that likely means that CBD can reduce different types of pain in arthritis and other diseases where joint pain is an issue.
- CBD can delay the degradation and reuptake of the naturally produced endocannabinoids AEA and 2-AG.
- Antidepressants like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) work by increasing the levels of serotonin by decreasing the amounts sucked back into a nerve cell. CBD appears to work in the same way. The end result is that the endocannabinoids stay in the system longer—so the conclusion is that using CBD for arthritis should be effective.
- Anxiety is often a component of pain, and CBD can help reduce the anxiety associated with pain by activating serotonin (sometimes known as the “happy hormone) pathways.
- CBD can interact with several different surface receptors (about 70 have been identified so far). Overall, these interactions reduce inflammation and pain.
- CBD can affect the function of some receptors associated with pain by changing the shape of the receptor just a bit—it’s a bit like jamming a lock. When it does that, the real key won’t work as well. In this case, that means the sensation of pain isn’t transmitted to the brain as well.
THE BENEFITS OF CBD FOR JOINT PAIN
CBD can be an excellent treatment for both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis due to its antioxidant properties. In particular, CBD can decrease swelling around the joints and improve pain and stiffness, which could leave you with a loss of motion if left untreated.
Not only this, but one of the major benefits for those using CBD is that it can help to reduce any chronic pain that you are experiencing in and around the joints. This is because it acts as an analgesic and attaches itself to the pain receptors in the brain. This can reduce the body’s perception of pain, much like the effect of your chiropractic adjustments.
Not only can this help to reduce the symptoms of chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia, which can cause joint pain, but it can also provide a positive effect for those that struggle with chronic pain due to conditions such as arthritis.
Many people with joint pain may be unable or uncomfortable with using medication for an extended period of time, especially if it has adverse side effects, such as fatigue and nausea. In those cases, CBD is a natural alternative that can help to reduce pain without many of the side effects of traditional medications.